Ryoginan (龍吟庵)

Ryoginan is a temple of the Tofuku-ji Temple school of the Rinzai sect, located in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture, and is tatchu (sub-temple on the site of the main temple) of Tofuku-ji Temple. It is found in a flat area at the foot of the mountain after one crosses Engetsu-kyo Bridge, which is behind the 本坊庫裏.
(Ryogian is open to the public in November each year.)


In 1212, Mukan Fumon (Busshin Daimin Kokushi) was born in Shinano Province.

He came to Kyoto and practiced Zen under the supervision of Tofuku-ji Temple's kaizan Enni (Shoichi kokushi).

In 1251, Mukan Fumon went to Song.

In 1262, Mukan Fumon returned from Song.

In 1262, Mukan Fumon became the third chief priest of Tofuku-ji Temple after accepting an invitation from Sanetsune ICHIJO.

Ryoginan was built by Mukan Fumon in 1291.

On January 10, 1292, Mukan Fumon died in Ryoginan.

The buildings

The hojo (abbot's chamber) (tsuketari hallway) is constructed in the earliest style of hojo architecture, having been built in the early Muromachi period, before the Onin War occurred.
The irimoya style (building with a half-hipped roof)

Kuri (the priest's living quarters or the kitchen of a temple)
Front gate


Ryogintei garden
Furi-no-niwa garden

Cultural property

National Treasure
Important Cultural Property
Kuri (the priest's living quarters or the kitchen of a temple)
Front gate
Wooden seated statue of Daimyo Kokushi (Tsuketari stored goods inside the statue)
銅無関禅師骨蔵器 (housed in the Tokyo National Museum)
A cist (tsuketari 銅骨蔵器, 錫外筒, cist, gold and bronze sutra case, unglazed (ceramic) ware) (housed in the Tokyo National Museum, except for the cist)


812, 15-Chome, Honmachi, Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City


Walk from either Toba Kaido Station or Tofukuji Station of the Keihan Main Line. Walk from Tofukuji Station of the JR Nara line.

[Original Japanese]