Shiga-in Temple (滋賀院)
Shiga-in Temple, a temple of the Tendai sect located in Sakamoto, Otsu City, Shiga Prefecture, s a honbo (a priest's main living quarters) (Sosatobo) of Enryaku-ji Temple on Mt. Hiei. It is also called Shigain Monzeki Temple. Its honzon (principal image of Buddha) is Yakushi Nyorai.
The temple was built by Tenkai, a monk of the Tendai sect who served the Edo bakufu and was also called 'Kokui no saisho' (a priest who has influence in politics) here in 1615, after Hossho-ji Temple (Kyoto) was granted by Emperor Goyozei. The name "Shiga-in" was granted by Emperor Gomizunoo in 1655. It burned down in a fire in 1878 but was rebuilt using the building of Homan-in Temple in Mudojidani on Mt. Hiei.
National Site of Scenic Beauty
Enryaku-ji Sakamoto Satobo-teien Garden