The Kyoto Botanical Garden (京都府立植物園)
It was Japan's first public botanical garden which opened on January 1, 1924. It was forced to close in 1946 as it was confiscated by the allied forces for twelve years, but re-opened in April 1961.
There are approximately 120,000 plants, and in the region of 12,000 varieties, in the extensive grounds covering 240,000 square meters. It has a Japanese flower garden for all four seasons, Western-style gardens, and a greenhouse for tropical plants. The northern half is an ecological-botanical garden dedicated to a wood called "Nakaragi-no-mori" (半木の森) which has been created to resemble a wood in the wild.
Take the Kyoto City Bus and get off at "Shokubutsuen Mae" bus stop, which is close to the gate.
Close to "Shokubutsuen Kitamon Mae" bus stop using the Kyoto City Bus.
Also in the area
Kyoto Prefectural Garden of Fine Arts