Machi-koji Street (町小路)

Machi-koji Street was a street that was central to the townspeople of Kyoto in the middle ages, and was lined with doso (underground warehouses).


The predecessor of machikoji were the Machijiri-koji Street of Heian-kyo and became Shinmachi-dori Street from the Edo period. Geologically, it was a first-rate location in Kyoto at that time because it was on high grounds that would not be affected by the flooding of the Kamo-gawa River (Yodo-gawa River system). The merchant houses and factories of the craftspeople lined the street, whereas the courtiers and military families had homes east of the Higashinotoin-dori Street, which was more prone to flooding. The wealthier townspeople were called 'Utokunin' and paid for the Yamahoko Junko (procession of Gion Festival Floats) during the Gion-e (service for souls of Gion) instead of the government and were called 'Junya no Senmin' (people of the lower class who are wealthy).

Towns along the street

Following the notation method of 'East-West street and South-North street' (example: Shijo Karasuma) used even today that began with the establishment of Heian-kyo, the location where a Machi-koji Street bisects a East-West street was called 'XX-cho (town).'

Many rice merchants lived here and in 1330, Emperor Godaigo had them sell rice at a discounted price.

The branch temple of Bishamon-do Temple (member of Enryaku-ji Temple), Jofudo-in Temple is located here.

Gojo-cho zengohaccho:
The area surrounded by Takatsuji-dori Street, Matsubara-dori Street, Nishinotoin-dori Street and Muromachi-dori Street. This was the busy town area of that time and the landowner was the Enryaku-ji Temple.


[Original Japanese]