Ichihashi Nagakazu (市橋長和)
He was the fourth son of Tadakata SAKAI, lord of Shonai Domain, Dewa Province, and the younger brother of Tadaaki SAKAI. His children include Nagahisa ICHIHASHI (eldest son) and a daughter (lawful wife of Nagamichi ICHIHASHI). His adopted son was Nagamichi ICHIHASHI. He was awarded court ranks of Jugoinoge (Junior Fifth Rank, Lower Grade). Shogoi (Senior Fifth Rank). Shoshii (Senior Fourth Rank).
He was appinted as the Governor of Iki Province
and Shimousa Province
He was called Kozaburo when he was a child. He used the name Nagakazu at first but renamed himself Nagayoshi.
Since his predecessor domain lord Nagatomi ICHIHASHI had no heir, Nagakazu was adopted by him and succeeded the family on November 16, 1844, when Nagatomi retired. When Japan became politically unstable following the visit of Mathew Perry in 1853, he started producing gunpowder as he felt the need of military reinforcement. On May 26, 1862, he changed the domain name from Nishoji to Nishioji.
Although Nagakazu was originally pro-shogunate, he gradually became more supportive of the new Imperial government, and when the capital of Japan moved from Kyoto to Tokyo in 1868, he provided the security service to Emperor Meiji and to the city of Kyoto. Following Hansekihokan (return of the land and people to Emperor) on April 22, 1869, he was re-appointed by the Meiji government as the Governor of his domain, and following Haihan-chiken (abolition of feudal domains and establishment of prefectures) in 1871, he was dismissed from the post of governor and relocated to Tokyo. He was one of those who were raised to the peerage at an early time because of his achievement as the guard of Emperor Meiji. He died at the age of 62 on January 17, 1882.