Honjo bugyo (本所奉行)

Honjo bugyo was one of the positions of Edo bakufu. It controlled Honjo (presently Honko in Sumida Ward) and Fukagawa (Koto Ward). The fixed number of people was 2 consisting of one each from shoinban (the castle guards) and koshoban (page). They managed civil administration, roads, bridges and waterways of Honjo and farmed out cleaning of water and sewerage, repair of water pipes and opening and closing of water pipe gate to citizens.

After the Great Fire of Meireki, Ryogoku-bashi Bridge was constructed across Sumida-gawa River and the construction of waterways for Kake-gawa River (in Tokyo) and Oyoko-gawa River was in progress and urban area was expanded to the west side of Sumida-gawa River where was not included in Edo before.
To respond to the situation, on May 4, 1660, Shigemasa TOKUYAMA and Shigemasa YAMAZAKI from shoinban (the castle guards) were assigned to 'bugyo of waterways for honjo residential land.'
This is considered as the beginning of honjo bugyo.

In 1685, it was abolished once, but on September 15 and 17 in 1693, it started again at the assignments of Yoshiaki TODO and Tsuneyuki TAGA.

After that, on June 3, 1713, residential area of honjo was transferred to machi bugyo and on May 21, 1719, buke (military authority) area was transferred to fushin bugyo (shogunate administrator of activities by a community, such as cleaning or fixing stone wall) and roads, bridges and waterways were transferred to kanjo bugyo and honjo bugyo was abolished. General public administration and woks farmed out to citizens were managed by 'honjogata' (1 yoriki and 2 doshin) placed in machi bugyo.

[Original Japanese]