Soraku-gun (Soraku District, or Sagara-no-kori) (相楽郡)
Japan/Kinki Region/Kyoto Prefecture/Soraku-gun
List of provinces administered in the past by the ryo-sei, or administrative codes (令制国)/Kinai (five provinces in the immediate vicinity of Kyoto)/Yamashiro Province/Soraku-gun
Soraku-gun was formerly a district in Yamashiro Province, and is a district in Kyoto Prefecture.
Soraku-gun includes the following three towns and one village:
There used to be the provincial monastery of Yamashiro Province.
April 10, 1879: Based on the Gun-ku-cho-son henseiho (Counties, Wards, Towns, and Villages Organization Code), Soraku district office was established in Kizu-mura.
April 1, 1889: As a result of the enactment of the chosonsei (Town and Village System Law), nineteen villages were established in Soraku-gun. Soraku-gun was comprised of nineteen villages.
November 22, 1893: By implementing the chosei (grant of township), Kizu-mura became Kizu-cho. Soraku-gun was comprised of one town and eighteen villages.
July 1, 1926: By implementing the chosei, Kamikoma-mura became Kamikoma-cho. Soraku-gun was comprised of two towns and seventeen villages.
October 1, 1931: Komada-mura, Hosono-mura, and Inada-mura were merged to form Kawanishi-mura. Soraku-gun was comprised of three towns and fourteen villages.
January 1, 1934: By implementing the chosei, Kasagi-mura became Kasagi-cho. Soraku-gun was comprised of four towns and thirteen villages.
July 1, 1942: Soraku local office was set up in Kizu-cho to administer Soraku-gun.
Kamo-cho absorbed Tono-mura and Mikanohara-mura.
Kawanishi-mura and Yamadasho-mura were merged to form Seika-mura.
December 15, 1954: Nishiwazuka-mura, Nakawazuka-mura, and Higashiwazuka-mura were combined to form Wazuka-cho. Soraku-gun was comprised of five towns and six villages.
Okawara-mura and Takayama-mura were combined to form Minami-yamashiro-mura.
September 30, 1956: Wazuka-cho absorbed Yubune-mura. Soraku-gun was comprised of six towns and one village.
March 12, 2007: Kizu-cho, Yamashiro-cho, and Kamo-cho were merged to form Kizugawa City, and the city was separated from the gun (district) system. Soraku-gun was comprised of three towns and one village.
Shikinaisha (shrines listed in the books of the jinmyo-cho in the Engishiki, or a volume of books on laws and regulation compiled during the Engi era)
The Engishiki Jinmyo-cho lists the following six shrines of four grand and two small shrines under the district of Sagara-no-kori, Yamashiro Province:
Hosono-jinja Shrine (Oaza Hosono, Seika-cho, Soraku-gun): it is a grand shrine and celebrates the tsukinami-no-matsuri (monthly festival) and the niiname-sai (harvest festivals). Wakinimasu-amenofukime-jinja Shrine (Hirao, Yamashiro-cho, Kizugawa City): it is a grand shrine and celebrates the tsukinami-no-matsuri and the niiname-sai.
Kiharanimasu-tateinadahime-jinja Shrine (Kabatayamagiwa, Yamashiro-cho, Kizugawa City)
Saganaka-jinja Shrine (Saganaka, Kizugawa City)
Okadakamo-jinja Shrine (Kamo-cho-kita, Kizugawa City): it is a grand shrine and celebrates the tsukinami-no-matsuri and the niiname-sai. Okadakuni-jinja Shrine: it is a grand shrine with the two ronsha shrines (successor of the original shrine) and celebrates the tsukinami-no-matsuri and the niiname-sai.
The sessha shrine (auxiliary shrine dedicated to the deity related to the main shrine) of the Katteno-jinja Shrine, and Kasuga-jinja Shrine (Ono, Kamo-cho, Kizugawa City)
Okadakuni-jinja Shrine (Otani, Kizu, Kizugawa City)