Hogon-in Temple (宝厳院)

Hogon-in Temple is a Buddhist temple belonging to the Tenryu-ji school of the Rinzai Sect located in Arashiyama, Ukyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Its honorific mountain prefix is Mt. Daiki.

The temple's garden and buildings are often used as a shooting location for period costume dramas.

Origin and History

In 1461, Yoriyuki HOSOKAWA invited Hijirinaka Eiko to found a temple. This was in what is present-day Kamigyo Ward.

The temple was destroyed by fire during the Onin War (1467-1477).

Restored during the Tensho era (1573-1591).

River works during the Meiji period meant that the temple grounds were purchased and the temple itself was relocated to the site of Kogen-ji Temple.

The current site was purchased and the temple was relocated and restored in 2002.


Kari-Hondo (temporary main hall): Serves as the temporary main hall until the original building is able to resume the role. It was originally set to be demolished but has been preserved due to its spectacular building materials.

Seisho-ken Teahouse

Garden: A pond stroll style garden known as 'Shishiku no Niwa' (lit. Lion's Roar Garden) that incorporates the surrounding scenery into its design. Created by Sakugen Shuryo. The garden is famous for its lion-shaped rock, out of which grows a pine tree known as Hagan no Matsu. It is also famous for its beautiful autumn leaves. The garden was featured in Miyako Rinsen Meisho Zue (Illustrated Guide to the Famous Gardens and Sites of the Capital) that was published during the Edo period.
(Only open to the public on specific days in spring and autumn. Also opened when illuminated at night.)


Principal image: Sho Kanzeon Bosatsu (Kannon)

Attendant statues: Kanzeon Bosatsu (33 statues) and Jizo Bosatsu


Tenryu-ji Keidai, 68 Susukinobaba-cho, Saga Tenryuji, Ukyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture


15 minutes walk from the JR West Arashiyama Station on the Sagano Line.

[Original Japanese]